Cathy 's Reviews > Darkness Rising

Darkness Rising by Keri Arthur

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, magic-users, angels-demons, paranormal, read-in-2011, twitter-author, shifter-not-wolf, urban, romance, vampire, werewolf
Read from November 05 to 06, 2011

It was ok. The problem is that I can't get that into the main plot, the story about the search for the book and the keys. I think the author is much better at action and intrigue than she is at the mystical stuff and somehow this plot just hasn't been working for me in this series. It's just overly complicated and something about it doesn't ring true. For example, why would the vampire council want to use the keys to send prisoners to hell instead of just killing them? It doesn't make sense. The part of the story I do really like is the side story about Madeline Hunter and the vampire council, she's deliciously wicked, manipulative and fascinating. I would have been more interested in a bigger story about her than this quest for the keys. So, it's fine, but not my favorite.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Rising.

11/04/2011 page 26
8.0% "The hints about Madeline in Riley's series were always fascinating, I'm interested to see how this plays out. Friend, enemy, reluctant respect?"