Kate Maxwell's Reviews > Compulsively Mr. Darcy

Compulsively Mr. Darcy by Nina Benneton

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: arc, contemp, jane-austen-esque
Read from March 04 to 10, 2012

Compulsively Mr. Darcy is a modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice with a series twist. Darcy meets Elizabeth in Vietnam, where she is working for free at a local hospital in Da Nang, specializing in infectious diseases. She only took the position so that her sister, Jane, would not be alone in the country while Jane is filling in for her Aunt and Uncle Gardiner at an orphanage that they usually run. Enter the Bingleys and Mr. Darcy and the fun begins.

The more I think about this story, the less I like it. It seemed too far-fetched and over-sexed. William Darcy, a high-powered CEO, is a man who is fastidious and a bit OCD, or so we are led to believe by the author telling us, and showing a couple of things that might signify that aspect of his character. I am no psychologist and have not been around too many persons with OCD, but I don’t think they would behave as Mr. Darcy does… and then wash his hands until they are raw to signal that he has an issue.

It was a quick read (thankfully – and with skimming) and a definite twist on the Pride and Prejudice story. I know many people would love a chance to see Darcy and Elizabeth in whatever setting, but I prefer a retelling to be at least somewhat tasteful, as well as believable as the original is such a classic tale of wit, satire, and romance… which this story did not have. Granted, I did laugh out loud at a few scenes…

Favorite Quote:
About Caroline Bingley by Mr. Darcy: After spending hours traveling in close quarters with her, Darcy closed his eyes and briefly fantasized balancing her and her vast cultural knowledge at the business end of a catapult and pointing it toward North Korea.

To read the complete review, please visit my website.

The publisher provided this book for an honest review
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsively Mr. Darcy.