Sandra's Reviews > The Secret Life of Word: A Professional Writer's Guide to Microsoft Word Automation

The Secret Life of Word by Robert Delwood

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: technology, favorites
Read from November 05, 2011 to February 07, 2012

While I am not a technical writer, I have used MS Word for many years and found this book a "secret" worth sharing. With the latest versions of Word, I now realize there are many ways to accomplish various projects with more efficiency than ever imagined.
Like the writer suggests, if you are going to do something more than once, automation is worth learning. Robert Delwood writes in a clear and easy to understand style, that even I can grasp. He leaves nothing for the reader to question...in fact, not only does he explain how to perform tasks using tools that are on the ribbon, and in the developers toolbox, he includes many examples of mistakes that can and will occur. For a novice using these tools, I find the common mistakes and results from them pearls that make trying these tools less daunting.
The book is written in a way that makes skipping from one topic to another simple, it is not intended to be read from cover to cover, but from topic tool and how it's used, what will result and what to watch for if there have been errors made, or unintended results due to Word itself.
He explains security in documents, how to safeguard against various threats to your system, as well as the various types of problems that can occur by unknowingly introducing malware to your computer.
I am not surprised The Secret Life of Word was recently included as a textbook for tech writers at Austin Community College, and I am quite certain this will be the first in a line of educators who include Delwood's book in their classes.
I recommend this book for anyone who wants to save time and produce streamlined work, from students to writers to office staff, this book is a gem. I'm glad the writer decided to share his extensive knowledge, and uncover the secrets in MS Word, because I've never come across another book like it, and my experience using Word since reading this book has been a fun learning experience. Excellent!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Word.