Barb's Reviews > Seducing Stephen

Seducing Stephen by Bonnie Dee

F_50x66
Nov 04, 11

Read in November, 2011

I saw a review for this book on Joyfully Jay's blog, and was so intrigued, I went and ordered the book for Kindle. I then read the book in one sitting! THEN, I got out of bed to write my review. Believe me, getting out of bed to do anything is a big deal!

At first, I was a little skeptical of a m/m historical. I've read plenty of 'traditional historical romances, and I couldn't quite figure out how the m/m side of things would work. Obviously these types of relationships had to exist, but they are only mentioned as a sort of 'deviance' in most historical. But because the virgin hero is a fun type of story, I decided to give this one a try.

Taking place in the straight-laced, frigid, and absolutely proper world of Victorian (!*^),' England, this story is a winner! It tells a great tale of two men who meet by accident when the stereotypical "aging roue" Lord stumbles into the virginal college student's be chamber by accident. But it turns out that the college student had been having forbidden feelings for other men for some time. From this beginning, the story goes on to examine the strictires of society, the pressures of following family expectations, and the fear of facing ones own feelings and taking chances for ones own happiness.

These subjects are difficult in any time or setting, but to cover them in the suffocating times of Victorian England is an even harser proposition. The authors have completed the challenge wonderfully, making both the main characters likable and sympathetic. I look forward to reading more from these authors to see if all their works are as good!

Sorry for the typos; I swear this computer/tablet thing drives me nuts! :-)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seducing Stephen.