Kathy's Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: favorites, retellings, romance, supernatural, young-adult-fantasy
Read from February 29 to March 02, 2012

I've haven't read Romeo and Juliet but I've seen the movie and now the story well...of course who doesn't now this timeless love story...and I don't like tragedies, whoever came up with the idea that the lovers or one of them dies in the end and that makes the story better has a twisted mind. When I read a romance I want the lovers to end up together in the end happily evere after, no bitter sweet endings, the only thing I like bitter sweet is my chocolate period. Not saying that there aren't any good stories out there that end not happily ever after, cause there are a few that I really really like and still they don't end they way I want, I just prefer them to end with a happy ending.

I love retellings, they are my favorite story to read. I like the way authors twist a timeless classic and make it their own and Jay most certianly did with Juliet Immortal. I like her phrasing and description of the characters and their feelings and emotions, she made me feel like I was right there with them, heartbroken and lost or happy and elated, rooting for the guys and one bad guy in particluar.

I like Jay's concept of Romeo being a bad guy (I mean he was bad before with killing Juliet's cousin and all but now he is really bad), and he and Juliet are on opposite sides of the fight. She an Ambassador of Light and he a Mercenary for the dark side...he betrayed her love and her trust and broke her heart just so he could be immmortal and live forever. She has to find the 2 soul mates she is sent to protect from Romeo who wants to corrupt one of them and have them kill the other to feed the High Lords all the pain and misery that comes with the act of being betrayed by ones true love. Romeo seems sorry for his actions over the past seven hundred years and for his act of betrayal to Juliet all those years ago. She beginning to have doubts and fears and doesn't know who to trust or to believe.

In the end it's about learing to love again, learning to forgive those who have wronged you, learning to love and forgive yourself as well. Very profound and heartfelt and I can't wait to read the next enstallment of this series, it looks to be another awesome read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.

03/02/2012