Maxine's Reviews > The Emperor's Knife

The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams

5208303
Nov 22, 11

Read from November 04 to 20, 2011

A plague is attacking the great Cerani Empire. First, it lays patterns on the skin of its victims; then it steals their will and destroys their minds. No one is immune, not even the emperor, and, by his own law, anyone who contracts the disease must be put to death.

Meanwhile, Sarmin, the emperor's only surviving brother and the only one who seems able to fight the disease, has been locked in a tower for fifteen years. He is slowly going mad and the only things keeping him from suicide are his fascination with the patterns and the promise his mother made him of a bride.

The Emperor's Knife is a fast-paced novel filled with lots of twists and turns, plenty of intrigue and even a little romance. The characters are very complex with emotions that ring true. The world building is strong and fascinating - it has a mid-eastern feel to it but there are hints of other countries with different peoples, cultures and religions.

This is the first book in a trilogy but it could easily stand alone. Author Mazarkis Williams manages to tie up all of the story trails while making the reader want more. He has crafted a terrific debut novel which will appeal to new fantasy readers as well as the most demanding of fantasy afficionados.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Knife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annika (new) - added it

Annika Hey Maxine - this book looks interesting, what do you think of it so far?

Maxine I'm only a couple of chapters in but, so far, I'm liking it a lot. It's well written and the opening is quite the shocker - I'm just hoping it can maintain this momentum. I was expecting something like Brent Weeks but I really have no idea who to compare this to and that's not a bad thing at all. So far, a definite 4 stars from me.