Derek's Reviews > Love and Shame and Love

Love and Shame and Love by Peter Orner

Jan 15, 12

Read from November 04, 2011 to January 15, 2012

I really enjoyed LASAL.

Orner clearly understands the craft of writing - every chapter is filled with descriptions and well turned phrases that sear themselves into your minds-eye and bring you into the scene. And although I'm sure that some readers will have an issue with the interweaving of the vignettes from different generations as soon as I was able to pick up on the characters I began to adapt to this structure and almost eagerly anticipate the continuation of a story line and a character that had been (almost) abandoned.

I suppose that my only real critique lies with the stories themselves as it seems Orner and most other modern American writers I come across are focusing on the "absence of relationships within relationships." Within LASAL we see this repeated in each generation... a family started with some shared "love" or vision of the future together that morphs into a detached and strained existence between individuals. This may well be the story of our times but I like to think that I would have given 5 stars to a novel of similar quality where the last generation beat the odds and lived happily ever after.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Shame and Love.