Aria Stuck in Wonderland's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Dec 28, 2014

bookshelves: cover-love, young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from April 01 to 06, 2012

What do you get when you mix dystopia and vampires together? You get THE IMMORTAL RULES!

The Immortal Rules has got to be one of the best vampire books out there. I mean it was unique yet it still managed to stay true to the original concept of vampires. I don’t hate sparkly vampires because they introduced my to the YA genre but the vamps here in Immortal Rules were bad, fierce and I love it. I seriously adore it.

The Immortal Rules was set in a world where vampires ruled over the humans.
They use humans to feed themselves.
They hire the humans to do slave work for them.
They humans were the lowest member of the society.
The vampires lives in the Inner City while the humans live in a place called the Fringe where they must fight for food, for shelter in order for them to survive.
Allie Sekemoto was one of them.
She was one of the Unregistered.
She despised the vampires.
But because of a food hunt that has gone wrong she had to become one of them in order for her to survive.

The concept of merging vampires with the current hype of dystopian book was very genius. It was a very smart move. But I have to say that although there might be some writers who might have thought about it already I think it is only Julie Kagawa who could pull something like that off. Julie Kagawa did pull it off with flying colors. She was able to take me again to another world that is very different from our own but as you read the book made you feel that somehow everything felt real. I mean I was like “oh wow how'd she even thought of that?” the whole time I was reading it. The world she created on this book was entirely different from the world she created in her Iron Fey series but equally creative and real.

Allie would have to be one of the most kick-ass heroines I’ve ever read. She was smart, strong, brave and occasionally a wise-ass which made her funny at times. I found her hardheadedness a little annoying but she does try to make up for her mistakes when she does one. Like all of Ms. Kagawa’s other characters, Allie was well developed and very real. Kanin who I thought was going to be her love interest was very cold and distant. He was her mentor and he played his part well. The real love interest Zeke blew my mind. I was in love again (sorry Ash). Zeke was just loveable and there was no way you could not fall in love with him. I mean who wouldn’t want a handsome guy who’s full of battle scars. Ooohhh! Gosh Zeke was so sexy! (I am so sorry for my infidelity Ash)

Also I loved how Allie and Zeke’s relationship developed. It developed gradually and surely. THANK GOD ITS NOT INSTA-LOVE! I hate heroines who falls head over heals with the male lead just by looking at him. Gawwdd that makes me want to puke. Good thing this one wasn’t one of them. Also it wasn’t the main focus of the book which for me was a very big thing. The purpose of paranormal books is to let the readers have that paranormal experience it’s not all about the romance. I mean if you want romance stick with romance. Paranormal is not supposed to be all about romance. A little romance is okay to keep the readers interested and The Immortal Rules has the right amount of action and romance which I suuuper LOVED!

One other thing I liked was the setting of the book which was New Covington. She was able to incorporate a little of a dystopian feel to this book which is why I think its going to be a huge hit. Readers want something new and this was it. The concept was fresh, the plot intriguing, the characters were kick-ass, the villains were despicable, the setting was perfect, what more could you ask for? Also the rabids were a great addition to the already great plot and characters. The rabids were creepy. Gosh I wouldn’t want to meet one of those in my lifetime.

OMGosh! Julie Kagawa does it again. I just couldn’t stop praising this book. Honestly, I am so enchanted by this book just as I was with the Iron Fey series.

Dear Julie Kagawa,

Thanks for making The Immortal Rules.
Thank you for making this book about vampires and not making them sparkly and lovestruck.
Thank you for making the heroine brave and independent and not like the others who depend too much on their male counterpart.
Thank you for adding a dystopian feel to this series because it was genius.
Thank you for making these books as if they were real.
Please continue to make more books and showing us more of your magic.

The Immortal Rules is a series that you wouldn’t want to miss especially if you love vampires. It’s fresh, full of action with a little bit of romance.

38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/01 page 20
4.0% "Just on my first 20 pages and I'm already hooked. :)"
04/01 page 65
13.0% 4 comments
03/03 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Patrycja I just started reading this one too!!

Aria Stuck in Wonderland I liked Allie.
She seemed spunky. :)

Patrycja I liked her too, but this kid Stephan? Horrible. How she managed to be his friend?

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ooooo I can't WAIT to read this!! How is it so far?

message 5: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson I WANT TO READ IT!! kjsahksjhakjsa I can't wait!! why are you reading it before its date? T___T

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Oh Gosh its amazing! :)
You'll love it @Arooj and Bel!

I got it as an ARC from Netgalley. :)

Aria Stuck in Wonderland ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj wrote: "Ooooo I can't WAIT to read this!! How is it so far?"

message 8: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson I'm crying!
ARC? How we say in my country: "mí quiere, quiere, quiere".

message 9: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj wrote: "Ooooo I can't WAIT to read this!! How is it so far?"

Its like a dystopian world wherein vamps are the people who govern the humans. Its intriguing."

Crying!!! T_T

Aria Stuck in Wonderland You could get an advanced readers copy from Netgalley if they approve your request. :)

Don't cry. :(

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj wrote: "Ooooo I can't WAIT to read this!! How is it so far?"

GAH I've been waiting to read this since forever! I bet it's gonna be totally awesome...I mean, it IS Julie Kagawa.

message 12: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "You could get an advanced readers copy from Netgalley if they approve your request. :)

Don't cry. :("

They I should add them! If I find them he hee

message 13: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Dear, how can I add Netgalley??

Aria Stuck in Wonderland ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj wrote: "Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj wrote: "Ooooo I can't WAIT to read this!! How is it so far?"

..."

I know arooj!
Its the same awesomeness though different genre.
Its entirely different but its great.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Bel wrote: "Dear, how can I add Netgalley??"

Go to netgalley.com
You could find tons of arcs there.

message 16: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "Bel wrote: "Dear, how can I add Netgalley??"

Go to netgalley.com
You could find tons of arcs there."

Thanks!! I will.

Melinda Jane Harrison (Girls and Their Goblins) Oh, NOW I must buy it.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland you really should marigold! =)

message 19: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson I HAVE to read this book. Oh, Time, why are you so slow? *cries awfully*

Linny Can't wait to read this one! I've been seeing mixed reviews about it, so I'm glad to see that you liked it! :)

message 21: by Yomayra (new) - added it

Yomayra Can't wait to get my hands on this one!!! Love Julie Kagawa's books and a new novel with vampires and dystopian setting?! What could be better? :D

Melinda Jane Harrison (Girls and Their Goblins) It's in my cart. Can't wait to read it.

Melinda Jane Harrison (Girls and Their Goblins) Sandee (loves Ash Tallyn) wrote: "you really should marigold! =)"

It's in my cart. Can't wait to read it. Have to! Thanks.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland I can't wait to hear what you think about this one! :) Its as great as her Iron Fey series. Plus you'd get a snippet on the Iron Fey spinoff!

message 25: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson ksjajhsjka Let me die!!! I need this book!!

message 26: by Gemma (new) - added it

Gemma Jackson I WANT THIS <33

Sonya Another 5 stars review! Can't wait for it to hit the shelf! Great review, Sandee :-D

Aria Stuck in Wonderland oh my gosh you guys should grab this book now! =)

@sonia: it deserves the 5 stars!

message 29: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson I hate my country! I don't have the opportunity to buy The Iron Fey series so I had to read them on my iPod. Bookdepository is my solution, even thought, it sucks to live in Chile when you are so into books.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Bel wrote: "I hate my country! I don't have the opportunity to buy The Iron Fey series so I had to read them on my iPod. Bookdepository is my solution, even thought, it sucks to live in Chile when you are so i..."

We had the same issue too. I had to order my iron fey series too. Good thing i got this from netgalley. =)

message 31: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Ate Sandee, available na po ba siya sa Powerbooks or National Bookstore?

message 32: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson You lucky one! I need to win the lottery, though, I want so many books.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Beatrice wrote: "Ate Sandee, available na po ba siya sa Powerbooks or National Bookstore?"

No copies in national or powerbooks yet eh. I got it as an advanced readers copy from netgalley.com. Maybe you could still request. =D

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Bel wrote: "You lucky one! I need to win the lottery, though, I want so many books."

I hope i do win the lottery too so we could do an exchange. Pretty expensive to have books shipped nowadays. =p

message 35: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson so I have to play first in order to win. If I do, I'll send you books!

message 36: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice So lucky Ate Sandee! I guess I'll have to wait for the copy/ to be publish.. :)TBR list muna

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Bel wrote: "so I have to play first in order to win. If I do, I'll send you books!"

Likewise! =)
If i win i'd visit you personally with a box full of books!

Aria Stuck in Wonderland Beatrice wrote: "So lucky Ate Sandee! I guess I'll have to wait for the copy/ to be publish.. :)TBR list muna"

Dont worry! =)
I think it comes out this month.
Thanks for commenting on this. I might never have figured out i had some wrong grammar in my review. Haahaha

message 39: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Sandee (loves Ash Tallyn) wrote: "Bel wrote: "so I have to play first in order to win. If I do, I'll send you books!"

Likewise! =)
If i win i'd visit you personally with a box full of books!"

Okay, so we need to play, NOW!! with two of us, the odds are in our favor (?) I hope so. If I win, I'll stop eating sweet things (this is a BIG sacrifice). This is my promise!

BTW, did you see my new blog about books? I'm in love with it... or the theme, I think.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland hahaha. I hope the odds are in our favor. I have to start too because i keep wishing i win even if i dont play which is silly. Hahaha.

I did check it out. =)
Too bad i dont have a tumbler so i could follow you and stuff.

Aria Stuck in Wonderland i liked the picture with gazillion of books!

message 42: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Thanks!! you should have a tumblr, it's really fun and you can find amazing things there!

Aria Stuck in Wonderland i did have one before but i forgot my password and got really upset that i couldnt find the typography pics i liked before so i stopped using it.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ you review makes me wanna read it ASAP.. love dystopia, kick-ass heroines & vampires <33333

message 45: by Bel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bel Watson Oh, well, if you decide to start using again, tell me and I can help you. I'm pretty good with technology.

message 46: by A.O. (new) - added it

A.O. Peart Great and a very informative review, Sandee. I have this book on my TBR list and have heard a lot of good things about it. Glad to hear you liked it so much. I think I will start reading it very soon :-)

message 47: by Rula (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rula I just finished the book and Julie Kagawa made me fall in love all over again *sigh* the story is breathtaking and I loved the way the events unfolded I couldn't keep my hands off the book :)

Aria Stuck in Wonderland hehe. : ) i know right!
julie kagawa is really a good story teller.