Patrice Sartor's Reviews > Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions

Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich

Nov 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: money-issues, non-fiction, gaming
Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Shelf Note--I usually use the "gaming" shelf for video/computer/board games, but in this instance I used it for cards and gambling.

Ben Mezrich tells the story of a group of extra-sharp MIT students and their ringleader who formed a team for the purposes of making as much money as possible playing blackjack. They are card counters, though since they use a team their profits were quite high...until things changed.

I gained a good sense of what it felt like for Kevin, from whose point-of-view the book is told, as he started out nervous and unsure, and then learned to play his part brilliantly. How the students worked together to make enormous amounts of money was quite interesting. That I liked the book from beginning to end and found it a fast read is a credit to the author, since I have no interest in playing blackjack. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Down the House.