Mariya's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Jan 13, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult, dystopian, dac-2012, books-i-own, cuddle-bunny, friends-to-lovers, heartwarming-smiles, lovable-heroine, ya-boy-harem, prince-or-king
Read from January 05 to 07, 2012

THE SELECTION was one of the best books I have ever read! I don't think I quite expected that once I flipped the first page that I couldn't stop! But guess what it happened! I am constantly thinking about this book and I am 100% in "WOW" mode! Everything about this book I absolutely loved and I have no freaking clue how I am going to wait more than a year for the second book to come out. Such torture!

THE SELECTION is a dystopian novel, but it didn't seem so much like one to me, more like a Cinderella story. But they have a caste system in this world that goes from one to eight. One being very rich and eight being very poor. The Selection gets held for the prince where out of 35 woman he gets to narrow it down to one girl he picks as his princess. So notices gets sent to all the girls to the age of 16 to 20 and all the girls go crazy submitting their entries for THE SELECTION.

Since The Selection started, I'd been worrying that it was something that was going to ruin my life. But in this moment, I couldn't think of a time that felt more right.

As for America Singer our heroine of the story who is a five in the caste system, she doesn't want anything to do with THE SELECTION. Her mother is very needy and begging her because it is a wonderful opportunity. Even if you don't get chosen as the princess your life changes forever, you will be higher up in the caste system, and it would help America's family.

America doesn't care about any of that though, and plus she has a secret boyfriend, Aspen. It is sort of forbidden too for her to be with him. Later on, Aspen feels America should at least try for The Selection and she gets picked as one of 35 girls. And some problems happen between Aspen and America before she leaves.

I liked America. I felt like she as a very strong heroine. And she is very unselfish. She is doing THE SELECTION for her family to help them, but also she wants some distance from Aspen. When we meet Prince Maxon he is everything America thought he wouldn't be. he is absolutely swoon worthy. I mean, come on. he is a prince. Maxon has very cute qualities that make my heart flutter. He has a cute reaction to crying ladies and it is funny. I love how he uses the term, "my dear", which America hates. Haha!

Prince Maxon is very sweet and kind and all her wants is to find a girl among the 35 girls that are at his palace that he could love. That girl may end up to be America though. But the question becomes is America even interested? Is she over Aspen yet? There seems to be a lot going on between Maxon and America without anything actually happening and it becomes clear in my opinion at least that America does like Maxon, but there are things she has to figure out first.

I wrapped my arms around him, resting my head against his chest. Maxon seemed both comforted and surprised by the gesture. I took only a second for him to wrap his arms securely around me. "Maxon, I'm not completely sure what we are, but we're definitely more than friends."

No surprise that I like Maxon more than Aspen, but Aspen definitely has his moments and it makes you feel a little sorry for him. But I most definitely want America and Maxon together. THE SELECTION was one absolutely amazing and my only complaint would be why this book isn't longer. It felt so short. I wish the book was like 500 pages long. I loved it that much! It will be complete torture waiting for the next book in the series.

More of my reviews at Mystifying Paranormal Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

01/03/2012 "OMFG! YES! YES! YES! FINALLY! THE LOVELY COVER IS IN MY HANDS!!!! SO FRECKIN' BEAUTIFUL! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" 14 comments
01/05/2012 page 103
31.0% "Freaking AMAZING~! I hope I have time to read a few more chapters tonite. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" 1 comment
01/05/2012 page 148
45.0% "He leaned in even closer to whisper. "You say you're here by mistake, so I'm assuming you don't want to be here.. Is there any possibility of you having any sort of...of loving feelings towards me?"" 13 comments
01/06/2012 page 256
78.0% ""I'm not so stupid as to believe that you've completely forgotten about your former boyfriend. I know you think there are others here more suited for me and this life, and I wouldn't want you to rush into trying to be happy with any of this. I just...I just want to know if it's possible..."" 1 comment
01/07/2012 page 327
100.0% "So AMAZING! But why, oh, why did it have to end! I WANT BOOK 2 IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!" 5 comments
01/29/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-39)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 39: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Great reviews!:)

Mariya Haha! A little long though. Oh, well.

Aly is so frigging bored Great review!! You determined me to add it, which is a lot to say about your review writing skills :D

Mariya Oh, my. Has the word ended. She added a YA book to her TBR list! LOL HAHAHAHA!

Yeah!

Aly is so frigging bored I have some :D 4 or 5 I think :D

message 34: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Mariya, she's very shallow so since she likes the pretty cover she added it.:)

Not too long at all.

Mariya LOL Hahaha! The pretty covers tempt us all! Hehehe! Okay. Good, not too long. I just wanted to explain a little bit about the book and also talk about the characters.

Mariya Like by the ending, it made me re-think a little bit between the Maxon and Aspen thing, b/c OMFG! Aspen!!! Hahaha~! Then I was like damn. why did it have to end! So unfair!!!! ARRRRRGHHHHH! I'll send your book back like tomorrow on Wednesday, promise =DDDDDDD

And thank you sooooo much! If I do get The Last Echo from the publishers I'll definitely let you borrow as well.

Mariya The ending was so mean! It wasn't a total cliffhanger, but it was to me! I want next one so bad! Haha. Hold on til you get your finished copy. I would have the same thoughts too! It was that good! I did that with a book once. I couldn't help it. But I added so many boo kmarks in the book it was embarassing! I couldn't part with the book. The Selection is definitely a keeper.

LOL I'm staying very far away of the five chapter pages. I'd probaly go insane wanting the next chapters ASAP! Hahaha!

Wendy Darling Hah, it's so funny to see the contrast in our reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, Mariya!

By the way--do you still have your ARC? I wanted to double-check a quote I posted and I'm wondering if I can bother you to have a look when you get the chance. It's no big deal if you aren't able to, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't misquote something.

Ezmirelda Before I kind of wanted to read this book. Now I REALLY want to read this book! Those two quotes made me go "Aww!" I definetely have to read this a.s.a.p!

Mariya If I could I'd probaly write the whole damn book in my review as quotes. LOL

I have many more favorite quotes! But awwwww~! I adore Prince Maxon! Such torture that the book was only 330 pages. UGH! I NEED MORE! 8)

Aparajitabasu check my review, we totally match with our views....totally Team MAXON at the moment.

Olivia So far, it's team Maxon for me. Anyways, I loved the book, and the relationships you you see between other people. I mean there are things that could be improved, but this is only the second book that Kiera has published and I think it's quite phenomenal....me being a nose-in-book person, i can do with them being longer =)

Aparajitabasu Olivia wrote: "So far, it's team Maxon for me. Anyways, I loved the book, and the relationships you you see between other people. I mean there are things that could be improved, but this is only the second book t..."

TEAM MAXON and u r so right about them being longer

Alein I agree with you completely! I most definitely want America with Maxon!

Mandy I adore this book! So happy I got to meet the author and have her sign it for me!!! I am TOTALLY team Maxon!!! I mean Aspen kinda seems like a jerk to me after what he did that one night in the tree house... But I totally agree with your review fantastic book! I can't wait for the next one!(:

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin i dont know why so many people gave this story bad reviews i loved it! i mean, i wish the story didnt end without them not knowing who won, but still. Team Maxon all the way! aspen had his chance..

Mariya I feel like a lot of the 1 stars came from the author/agent/blogger drama that happened before the book came out, but honestly that doesn't stop me from reading a book I want to read and I don't feel bad for loving it, b/c it was awesome. Glad that the rating is slowly going up. It's almost fully at an average of a 4 stars! I really can't wait for the next book! And yes!!! SO many Team Maxon fans! ;))

Erika Agreed this book was amazing. People who one starred this book are Team Celeste.

message 19: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim team Maxon...... all the way!

message 18: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Evans I hate Aspen!

Sofia Theos If this is one of the best books you've ever read dear lord you mustn't read a lot.

Mariya Excuse me, I do read quite a lot and everyone has their own tastes in books. :P

Elizabeth Engstrom I agree with you one hundred percent. I completely ship America and Maxon. I HATE ASPEN. I also read A LOT so don't feel to let down by the comment left saying you should read less. Nobody, ever, needs to read less. Well, anyway, great review. Loved it a lot.

message 14: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily I'm team Maxon! Aspen is a jerk! But hey, isn't he what really makes us love the book? Our hatred for him and our contrasting love for Maxon?

Sarah Maddox I really enjoyed this book. It's my favorite series! I always read reviews after I read the book and I completely agree with your review.

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah George Completely agreed on this review! I don't understand why people hate on it all the time!

message 11: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily This is my favorite series! I love it and I wish there were more reviews like yours for it.

Maddie Miller Everything I'm your review is correct....team Maxon all the wa

Steph Team maxon forever!!!!!! Swoon swoon.......

Sara loved this book. TEAM MAXON.

Morgan Love the selection!!!!!!! Very well written review!!!! Now the important question:Do you agree with the slogan "Get over Aspen! Team Maxon!!!!!!!!!"

Faith I read this book and absolutely LOVED it. I don't understand why so many people gave it bad reviews. This whole series was intense and kept me hooked.

message 5: by Dmitry (new)

Dmitry nougat

message 4: by Daria (new) - added it

Daria I love this book! And i rate it 5 stars because it's really good. I cant wait to read the second one

Ceri Hughes BEST BOOK!!!! I am in love with Maxon! After reading it I felt depressed because I just wanted to sit and watch tv with Maxon (I'm that sad!

Phantom User I wouldve gave it 3 1/2 stars because it was fine. I only read it because it looked interesting.

Gerrard Fess Finally some one who gets me now!