Amy's Reviews > I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas by Lewis Black

Nov 07, 11

Read from November 04 to 06, 2011

I downloaded I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas expecting a humorous, cynical read about Christmas. Bah hum bug.

What you get instead of constant humor is a lesson in humanity. Black doesn't claim to be perfect, he admits many faults throughout this book. Black walks us through a typical holiday season from his perspective from Thanksgiving through Christmas. While his view of the commercial Christmas is negative, he celebrates Christmas day with friends and by donating to various charities. Black sets a good example even though he admits that he could never possibly do or give enough.

With the stage and microphone stripped away, we are left with a man who has fought to get where he is today. A man who is not without regrets. When you take away the humor, we're left with a man who had a brush with marriage and fatherhood.

I did get a chuckle or two from this book but I felt more sobered by Black's book than tickled. I didn't walk away from this book hating Christmas but rather inspired to do more for others.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas.

11/04/2011 page 20