Carter Kleoppel's Reviews > Emory's Gift

Emory's Gift by W. Bruce Cameron

U_50x66
Dec 15, 11

Read from November 11 to December 10, 2011

This book was a gem. I had previously read "A Dog's Purpose", another book by W. Bruce Cameron, and I loved it. "Emory's Gift" was filled with the same charm and heart as Cameron's other book, and was really enjoyable to read. One thing I found particularly clever is how Charlie still acts like an eighth grader with normal eighth grader problems, even though he is hiding a 600-pound grizzly bear in his barn with the Fish and Game service at his throat. I also felt that Charlie's lingering sorrow for his late mother added a good touch of emotion to the story. This combined with his father's indifference about him really makes you feel for Charlie. Charlie's relationship with Emory is also a thing of beauty. It is almost like a boy and a dog, but with an even deeper, almost mystical bond between the two. Emory himself is a very mysterious character. While most of the time he seems like a fairly normal bear, there are instances when he does things so human that you begin to wonder how true Charlie's story really is. One final thing that I thought added depth to the book is Charlie Hall's budding romance with Beth Shelburton, who both mystifies and intimidates Charlie. All of these elements put together create a very compelling book. Although the premise might sound a bit strange, "Emory's Gift" is definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emory's Gift.

11/11/2011 page 32
10.0% "This book is pretty good so far. The other book I have read by this author was amazing, so I have high hopes for this book."
11/26/2011 page 152
48.0% "The story is getting better... the main character, Charlie, has met a grizzly bear who reveals his name to be Emory. Charlie is also getting angry at his father for moving on with the death of his mother. However, Charlie has also met a young lady named Beth Shelburton, who he is completely enamored with. Charlie is getting worried after he has not seen Emory for a while."
12/09/2011 page 282
88.0% "The pace is picking up. Charlie has told his dad about Emory, and his dad has met the bear face-to-face. Trouble erupts, however, when a neighborhood boy spots Charlie and Emory and calls the Fish and Game department. A local entrepreneur named Jules McHenry goes hunting for Emory, but is stopped by the bear, who then prevents Charlie from shooting McHenry in anger. Charlie, Emory, and Mr. Hall become local heroes."
show 1 hidden update…