Ashley's Reviews > Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Nov 04, 11

1. Historical Fiction
2. Bud (not Buddy!) is a black orphan, struggling through the hardships life in the depression hands to all. Through his travels in search of his mysterious father, he finds friendship and even hope. There are trains to catch and meals to find, but this young boy is stronger than the world gives him credit. In this adventure the young boy takes a wild ride (and I'm not talking about the train) that transforms his life from orphan to family member and from lost to found.
3. Critique
a. The narration is a bit weak there are some elements of the character in his narration but they show up erratically.
b. The story is a good one and presents its climax in a wonderfully building plot that has the reader turning pages to keep up with all of Bud's (not Buddy's!) adventures, however, the character does not give himself away in his dialogue in a uniform manner.
c. The character occasionally says things that give away his position within the community, the time the book is set, etc. however, these are sporadic. He says things like human beans instead of human beings. I simply wish that the author had either left these out or added more character within the dialogue.
4. I would use this book in conjunction with a lesson surrounding the great depression and present different types of examples throughout the text making them more obvious and prevalent. I might also have them present different types of writing (poetry, reflective, essay) in order to express how the depression would effect them if they were in Bud's shoes, for example, living without a family on the streets, sleeping on the ground instead of a bed, etc. I would hope that the personal narrative would effect their views of the harshness of the great depression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bud, Not Buddy.