Teresa Garrett's Reviews > The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: fall-2011, middle-grade
Recommended to Teresa by: The author Meg Wolitzer at the Texas Book Festival
Read from November 01 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

After hearing the author Meg at the Texas Book Festival I knew I really wanted to read this book. I dabble at Scrabble nothing like the kids in this story who are consumed by the game each for very different reasons. The story culminates at the YST - Youth Scrabble Tournament deep in the heart of Texas. Each competitor must come to terms with the events in their lives that have brought them to the tournament and what they need to do to win. Duncan's story is more complicated however and he leaves the tournament with a lot of questions that only his mother can answer. I really want to play Scrabble and try out all the tips in the book! Could lead kids to want to learn to play too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angie Hmmm. Now I am curious. I just started a Word Warriors club (Scrabble, Bananagrams, PairsinPears, Appletletters) and while the kids are willing they are having trouble. Maybe a read aloud? Plus ... I keep losing at Words with Friends. ;]

message 2: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Garrett It is full of lists of obscure words, anagrams, and tips. I think it might make a good real aloud.