Katelyn's Reviews > Pink and Say

6192669
Nov 04, 11

Read in November, 2011

1. Historical Fiction -Picture Book

2. Pink and Say are both union soldiers during the civil war. Sheldon, or Say as his friends call him, was injured during the war. Pink finds him and takes care of him. The recovery of Say takes time, and during that time the boys form a special friendship. Pink and Say understand that it only matters in the inside, not the color of skin.

3. a. An area to comment on, is the message the author sends through the book. The civil war was a scary time for America, and it was over the color of people’s skin. The author uses that setting, but relays a message of friendship instead of hatred. The illustrations are captivating, and are vital to the telling of this story.

b. This is a wonderful book, however it may not be appropriate for grades k-3. It is sad, but grades 4-6 should read it to understand and relate to this civil war. The strong points and positive message connect with each other because the overall message is that people should not hate one another, and it is what’s on the inside that counts.

c. An example of the appropriate age levels would be when Pink’s mother is killed by confederate soldiers. Students that are too young might not comprehend the exact reasons for this, and that is important for this story.

4. Teachers can tie this into curriculum that covers the civil war. This was actually read aloud to my history class when I was in high school. I remember thinking it was a powerful book back then, and it captured all of my class’s attention, even though we were juniors. It is really important for students to be able to humanize historical events, and books always help to do so.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink and Say.