Katie's Reviews > Fury of the Phoenix

Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, genre-youngadult, genre-speculative, setting-secondaryworldfantasy
Read from November 04 to 06, 2011

This book was a lot different from Silver Phoenix, but I still really enjoyed it.

In Silver Phoenix Ai Ling went on an amazing and perilous adventure, meeting brothers Chen Yong and Li Rong along the way. Their journey is magical, taking them to several otherworldly locations and exploring Ai Ling's budding magical abilities. There is plenty of action and drama. Fury of the Phoenix is a much quieter and introspective novel. While there is some action in the middle and at the end, most of the book centers of Ai Ling and Chen Yong's emotions (their relationship with each other, the emotional aftermath the things Ai Ling did in book 1), and on the events that shaped Zhong Ye into the villain he became.

I really enjoyed the deep delve into the characters emotional lives. Arguable, this book is less exciting than the first. There's much less peril and action, and while I did enjoy the new side characters we didn't get to know them as well as, say, Li Rong. But Cindy Pon's characters are perfect for this kind of story. Ai Ling and Chen Yong are so loveable that everything they do melts your heart. I loved the fact that Ai Ling was still deeply affected by the things she did in the first novel, without turning into an angst machine. I also loved the way Chen Yong and Ai Ling's interactions were tense and their emotions complicated, but that they did not at all turn into a YA UST cliche couple, who say and do stupid things to each other and drive each other away **the tension** and **the drama**. It was pretty refreshing.

Silver Phoenix is as intriguing and alluring as Zhong Ye feels she is. And Zhong Yu himself, is delightfully intriguing. For me, knowing what Zhong Ye become prevents him from being completely sympathetic, but he's so interesting that he doesn't really need to be. Its that combination of being so smart, so ambitious, and so poor - and, of course, complicated by his genuinely sweet and warm love for Silver Phoenix.

~*~ SPOILERS ~*~

I thought the ending was very fitting. There is no forgiveness for Zhong Ye's crimes, but there is resolution between Zhoing Ye and Silver Phoenix, and through that absolution for Ai Ling, who, despite knowing that his death was necessary, is haunted by the fact that she killed Zhong Ye. And, of course, Ai Ling and Chen Yong are together now, yay! They deserve it.

~*~ /SPOILERS ~*~

While the novels were very different in pacing and tone, I thought Fury of the Phoenix was a great follow up to Silver Phoenix. This little series (because I there will only be two books?) was just filled with elements I love - action, introspection, charmingly sweet characters, villain's with complex motivations, marriage politics, awesome locations, world building, and magic... I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury of the Phoenix.