Loryn's Reviews > Each Little Bird That Sings

Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: tween, realistic-fiction, audio-book
Read in November, 2011

Comfort Snowberger is fairly comfortable with death; her and her family own and run her small town’s funeral home. She herself has been to 247 funerals, and along with her Great-great-aunt Florentine, Comfort has started writing a book with funeral recipes and various other good behaviors when it comes to attending a memorial service. After Florentine dies though, and a series of events take place leading up to her funeral, Comfort is not so sure about death anymore and if she can handle losing those close to her.

This is a touching book that I think will stick with me for a long time to come. Just this past week I have been dealing with my own grandmother’s failing health and very recent death, and I find it very interesting that I at this particular time I was listening to a novel all about death. What I took away most from Comfort’s story is that death does not necessarily need to be a sad thing; it happens to us all eventually and by celebrating life it can be a little easier to get through. Comfort struggles with not only death, but her bratty cousin Peach, and her best friend Declaration moving on from their friendship. Overall, this novel felt very real and sincere; it was just what I needed to help me through my own grief.

This would be a great read for a book club and I think that the tweens will have a lot to talk about and discuss. Also, in a classroom setting, the audio book would be fantastic to listen to. Kim Mai Guest does a great job of performing this novel and I really enjoyed listening to her read and act out the different characters.

Awards: Arizona: Grand Canyon Reader Award Nominees: 2008, California: Young Reader Medal Nominees: 2008, California: Young Reader Medal Winners: 2008, Golden Kite Honors: 2005, Hawaii: Nene Award Nominees: 2007, Illinois: Rebecca Caudill Award Nominees: 2007, Indiana: Young Hoosier Award Nominees: 2008, Kansas: William Allen White Award Nominees: 2008, Kentucky: Bluegrass Award Nominees: 2007, Missouri: MarkTwain Award Nominees: 2008, Nebraska: Golden Sower Award Nominees: 2009, North Carolina: Children's Book Award Nominees: 2008, Oklahoma: Sequoyah Award Nominees: 2008, South Carolina: Children's Book Award Nominees: 2008, Tennessee: Volunteer State Book Award Nominees: 2008, Texas: Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominees: 2007, Virginia: Readers' Choice Award Nominees: 2007.

Characters: Comfort, Great-great-aunt Florentine, Declaration, Tidings, Dismay, Peach.
Subjects: Death, Family, Funeral homes, Grief, Realistic fiction, Southern states.

References: Book information and award information retrieved from www.bwibooks.com. Accessed on November 4, 2011.

Each Little Bird that Sings. (n.d.). In AudioFile. Retrieved November 4, 2011, from http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/dbse....

Deborah Wiles. Retrieved November 4, 2011, from http://deborahwiles.com/site/.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Each Little Bird That Sings.