TheIron Paw's Reviews > Ideas That Matter: The Concepts That Shape the 21st Century

Ideas That Matter by A.C. Grayling

Feb 07, 13

bookshelves: history-philosophy, to-read

A worthwhile book to have on your bookshelf (or in the bathroom). It's arranged like an encyclopaedia (alphabetical) with each topic briefly outlined in a couple of pages. Each topic finishes with a "see also..." which allowed me to simply begin with a topic at random and then follow through on related items. As the author says, its an opinionated survey: he presents the basic outline of each "idea" objectively, but consistently shows his own opinions about it. This makes for a very interesting read for amateur philosophers. This will likely stay on my "currently reading" shelf for some time, as its a book to pick up, read randomly through, and then head to some other book or source for more detailed discussion of some topic that catches my eye. Besides, taking the "random, see also" approach, I have no idea where I am in the book, or how much of it I've covered. With my memory, this book may well last me the rest of my life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ideas That Matter.