Alice's Reviews > The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963

The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: childrens-3rd-5th, fiction-historical, feelgood
Read in November, 2011

I can't believe I never read this book until this year. WOW! Another great recommendation by my local librarian. This book was written by Christopher Paul Curtis, and was nominated for many awards including The Caldecott. It is beyond me why this book didn't win and Bud Not Buddy did. Bud Not Buddy was also a great read, but this book was phenomenal. Phe-nom-e-nal!

The characters are so real and the story so close to home that I really truly thought it was a work of non-fiction the whole time I was reading.

The Weird Watsons are loveable. So loveable. So real. So funny. The book has a very light feel to it until the very end when the family of 5 takes a trip to Birmingham, where they come face to face with an ugly part of American history: the racism and hatred in the South during the civil rights movement.

This book was emotional. It was raw. It was funny. It was so real. I felt like I was a fly on the wall to the home of the Watsons and to the soul of each member of the family.

The end was perfection. Pure perfection with the most unlikely of heroes. I don't want to give away too much, but once again love conquers all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963.