Vone Savan's Reviews > Beckoning Light

Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Nov 15, 11

Read from November 04 to 14, 2011

With their mother deceased and their father taking a job in Siberia, the shy Charlotte Calloway and her outgoing, older brother, Kevin, move back to Charleston, South Carolina from Alaska to live with Monty, their sweet-natured uncle. Once in SC, the fifteen-(almost sixteen)-year-old has a difficult time adjusting, while her brother, once again, does just fine.

Fast-forward a few chapters into the book, where Charlotte ventures into her uncle’s garden and literally discovers a gateway to another world. This new world, though astonishing at first, soon reveals more than what Charlotte bargained for—because it is there that Charlotte finds her first love, learns about her mysterious past, and unravels what potential dangers are lurking in her future.

I thoroughly enjoyed Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy. It was a fun and easy read with a plot that intertwines secrets, lies, and magic. It was thrilling to unravel the mystery of Charlotte’s history, and see how that ultimately affects her destiny. The story was well paced, creative, and the incorporation of magic was—for the most part—pretty cool to read about. But my favorite part of the book has to be the strength that Charlotte acquired by the end of the book, which leads to the universal message of inner strength.

With all that said, the story does have a few drawbacks. The characterization of Charlotte and Kevin was lacking. Though there were many aspects of their lives that were nicely described, I never fully connected with their characters, which lessened the impact of my sympathy for them.

Also, the alternating narration between Charlotte and Kevin was difficult for me to adjust to. Though Alyssa Rose Ivy did a great job stating whether Charlotte or Kevin will be the one to narrate the chapter, the fluctuation between the two different points of view still felt jarring to me, even by the time I got to the end of the book.

But in spite of these drawbacks, I still really enjoyed Beckoning Light, and would recommend this novel to anyone who prefers reading fun, creative, magic-filled fantasies with hints of love and danger—and a powerful message. I look forward to reading the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beckoning Light.