Jed L's Reviews > Ring

Ring by Koji Suzuki

Nov 29, 11

Read on November 29, 2011

I am becoming a pretty big fan of Japanese fiction. This is the third book I have read from Japan in the last year or so. Battle Royale remains one of my most favorite while the Devotion of Suspect X was one of the best murder mystery books I have ever read--and I normally can't stand those. Ring was also a fun, fast read. It is the book responsible for both the Japanese and American movies by the same title--both of which kinda freak me out. In the same way that Fight Club lends itself so well to movie format, Ring seems to have been written for a movie version.

It follows the story of a journalist trying to figure out how a movie made by a person with occult powers can result in a terrifying death 7 days after someone watches it. The story lacks any real depth aside from intensity, horror and thrill. But it is well written, doesn't disappoint and moves fast.

I would also recommend it for someone that is curious about the movie but doesn't like scary movies. The book has an eerie feel but lacks the creepiness and grossness of the movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ring.