Emily's Reviews > The Lake

The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, fiction, library-books, translated, women-authors, melville-house, 2011
Read on November 04, 2011

“Most people are constantly perpetrating little acts of violence on others, even when they don’t mean to. You almost never do that, Chihiro.”

What a beautiful book! This was one of my train reads last weekend and it touched me on a really personal level. It’s a love story, but it’s not the kind of love story that makes me squirm uncomfortably. It’s about two broken people – one more broken, one less – accepting their love for each other, and learning to trust that love. Which is maybe one of the most profound things ever. It’s a simply told story, in an honest tone. There’s a spooky house by the lake and a dark past and an awkward family history, but above all there’s a love that manages to avoid emotional violence, as hinted at in the quote above.

I think I can see (I just skimmed through some Goodreads reviews) how this book has the potential to come across as insipid or annoying, especially in terms of dialogue – but for me, it worked just right. Maybe it was my mood, maybe the train, but it was good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake.