Elizabeth's Reviews > The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, read_2011
Read from November 04 to 13, 2011, read count: 1

Kathleen Flinn was unsure what to do after finishing culinary school then, after helping a stranger in the grocery store, she decided to embark on a cooking experiment. She invited nine people, who felt they were deficient in the kitchen, to take cooking lessons with her where she would teach them the basics. Each chapter recounts a specific skill she taught them, these chapters are book ended by before and after home visits with the students.

As someone who both loves a memoir and definitely needs cooking tips I was really excited to read this book. While it was interesting to see how far the students progressed what I really wanted was more teaching information (pictures, step by step directions etc.) and recipes for those of us who were not fortunate enough to be there with her. She does raise a lot of good questions about what is in prepackaged food, and makes a great case for making things yourself. Overall an interesting and informative read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Counter Cooking School.