Eric's Reviews > Four Desert Fathers: Pambo, Evagrius, Macarius of Egypt, and Macarius of Alexandria: Coptic Texts Relating to the Lausiac History of Palladius

Four Desert Fathers by Tim Vivian

Jun 26, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: orthodoxy
Read in June, 2008

This book seems to be a companion to another text that I have not read, the Lausiac History of Palladius. The editors have published another text to go along with this, but it, too, I think is a coptic version of a more mainstream greek version. Thus, a lot of the commentary in the book focused on how this compared to the other work - this version retains the apparently Origenist qualities while they were carelessly removed from the other. Still, the fragments about these four desert father were quite interesting. The primary text is not very lengthy for the first two fathers - Pambo and Evagrius, but there is more substance about the Macarii.
For me this was useful as another picture of early monasticism along with the Life of Antony, and I'm gaining a clearer picture of what was important to these ascetics and defenders of the faith, and I plan to quickly return to the primary texts within to get a greater understanding and because they are so short. Were I a more erudite scholar, I think I could have gained much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Desert Fathers.