John Schneider's Reviews > Grave Peril

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Nov 11, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read in November, 2011

I nodded, and didn't say anything, as she became more agitated. It might have been politically incorrect of me, but the word LOONY all but appeared in a giant neon sign over [her] head.

He waved a hand. "Don't tempt me to show you what I can do by speaking your name and making an effort, mortal. Suffice to say that you could not comprehend the kind of power I have at my command. That my true form here would shatter this pathetic gathering of monkey houses and crack the earth upon which I stand. If you gazed upon me with your wizard's sight, you would see something that would awe you, humble you, and quite probably destroy your reason. I am the eldest of my kind, and the strongest. Your life is a flickering candle to me, and your civilizations rise and fall like grass in the summer."

These two above excerpts illustrate quite well the range and the excellence of Mr. Butcher's prose. What impresses me more and more about the Dresden is the incredible breadth of characters and situations that Harry Dresden encounters. Brick by brick Mr. Butcher is developing a rich and engaging world around Harry that I would love to explore. Once you add the thrilling narratives that occupy Harry's time, you have a winning formula for great fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Peril.

11/04/2011 page 99
11/04/2011 page 99
23.0% "I said it about the last book, but it deserves repeating. Mr. Butcher has really grasped how to narrate action and suspense after the first book in the series. Once again, he is able to capture my full attention while introducing multiple and meaningful plot threads. I am looking forward to seeing how this story comes together in its completion."
show 3 hidden updates…