Jenn's Reviews > Outtakes of A Walking Mistake

Outtakes of A Walking Mistake by Anthony Paull

Nov 15, 11

Read from November 04 to 15, 2011

This book started off amazing. Super funny, witty, charming, and sweet, and then randomly it started to drag on in places. I wish the writing had been tighter from the middle on. There were a lot of tough situations thrown into this book that I frankly didn't really see coming, and some felt a bit forced. However, they were real situations that happen to young adults. I'm just not sure all of them needed to be pushed into this book from the middle on. I have major problems when a book just pushes drama situation after drama situation in a book because it always pushes the line of drama for drama sake. Plus, there were quite a bit of typos that took me out of the story at times.

However, I fell in love with Tyler. He makes no apologies for who he is and acccepts nothing but the best for himself. I wish others, including myself, could have his bravery at times. He's whiplash smart and deep down has the best heart. He has a troubled friend, but they both need each other so much.

I'm a sucker for a "complete" ending, and the reader didn't really get that. Not sure if there is a plan for a sequel or not.

Overall though, Tyler is an amazing character and there were numerous laugh out loud moments. Great read.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outtakes of A Walking Mistake.

11/15/2011
10.0% "I freaking love Tyler Morros!!! This book is hilarious! "I had him and I lost him. I squealed.""
11/15/2011
20.0% ""Just don't...well, you know." "My man of little words is SO SEXY." And, here it's intentional funny. Oh, Tyler you need to be my little best friend."
11/15/2011
30.0% "And for now, that's good enough for me. For now, I'm just happy someone is brave enough to hold my hand."
11/15/2011
50.0% "I smell raw sex on her clothes. At least, this is what I think sex smells like--Taco Bell and arm pit rolled into one." 1 comment
11/15/2011
70.0% "I'm a little worried. This is starting to drag on a bit too much in places." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Stacey isn't he the best? :) he only gets better as the book goes on. I'm just getting back to my hotel room and will do my review.

Jenn Stacey, when the kid said he sounded and walked like a girl and then he said there are moments when you think of death. This is one of them. I could not stop laughing poor thing. I'm at the part now where's he's at Twinkies.

Stacey I love the description of Greg. Have you gotten there yet? "I mean, some people are simply destined to be the shit..." and then the "oh great, I will be the gay best friend at the punch bowl." Ha, I love him!

Jenn Lol yeah I'm close to being done. I really like it, but it's starting to drag on a bit in some places. I hope it tightens up soon.

Stacey I agree that after the midpoint it started to drag. The whole thing with Jenny didn't feel forced to me, I saw it as a plot device for Tyler learning more about real love (since Greg was so supportive to her even through this really harsh event). What did feel forced to me was the whole (view spoiler) thing. That came out of left field.

Yes, for sure thought that (view spoiler)

And I loved the ending. I think mostly because this is a YA book. He's not going to have an HEA at 16, and if he had (view spoiler)

I just loved Tyler and his confidence in himself. Such a great character for teens to identify with. I keep using the adjective lovely for this book.

Did you read any of Anthony Paull's columns? The man is hilarious. Best part of reading this book was discovering him!

Jenn Yeah, I didnt think (view spoiler)

Stacey Ha ha! Oh my god, you are so right! The ending was very My So Called Life. Perfect call!