liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media

Sew Wild by Alisa Burke

F_50x66
OK, if you're familiar with painting and mixed-media art, the surface design techniques in this book may not be new to you. But used them to create your own unique fabrics, and then sew those together in author Alisa Burke's signature graffiti, messy stitching style and you get totally one-of-a-kind items.

I've followed the artist's blog for a while now and I love her fun, creative style - not only can you go wild with it, you can almost never go wrong because nothing has to be perfect. Her sewing style is wonderful for people who don't like or can't sew straight, who hate to follow patterns and measure (like me!) - and maybe even those of you who do sew straight and follow patterns to a T, if you're ready to break out of your comfort zone and experiment with messy freehand drawing and stitching, or colorful, grungy patchwork.

Burke's surface design techniques (among those covered here are doodling; freewriting, lettering and text; woodblock printing; creating patterns with glue resist; screenprinting with an embroidery hoop) are great for both paper, fabric and other mixed-media projects. While none were really new to me, I got a great refresher on glue resist and fusing plastics.

After the chapters on surface design techniques and stitching techniques (including free-motion stitching; journaling and writing with machine stitching; graffiti quilting), there are tutorials for 12 projects including bracelets, bags, pillows, an art quilt and a fabric wreath. Throughout, the photos are high-quality, the instructions clear and the DVD included is a super bonus - you get to see Burke in action demonstrating several techniques and putting together some projects.

This book is excellent inspiration for anyone wanting to break free of conventional sewing styles and techniques but I'd caution you to first take a look at Burke's blog to see if you like her style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sew Wild.