liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Print & Stamp Lab

Print & Stamp Lab by Traci Bunkers

F 50x66
Nov 04, 2011

bookshelves: stamping, printing, paper-crafting, non-fiction, mixed-media, crafts, best-craft-book, art

This is a brilliant book to get ideas for what to use to make your own stamping and printing tools. Traci Bunkers sees potential in ordinary, cheap materials - many of which can be found in most households - and creates very cool things out of them. I read a lot of craft and art blogs but still found many refreshing ideas, like garden keeling cushion, drain strainer, pill dispenser and pipe insulation. One thing's for sure: I will never look at anything in my home the same way again; my rubber bands, ear plugs, pencil grips and buttons can be art tools, too.

In Print and Stamp Lab, there are 52 labs divided into 4 units (printing blocks and stamps; moldable foam stamps; rollers; stencils). The book is very well laid out and photographed; the instructions are clear enough even for complete beginners. In fact, one "problem" I found with the book (plus an editing error? - same text on pages 16&17) was that the content page is self-sufficient for many of the ideas. After all, there are only so many ways you can stamp/print with stencils and stamps. The instructions for the labs are hence often repetitious. I found some of the tips a bonus but thought the book would have benefited from more completed project photos, although that may have been difficult as the book has the same format as Quarry's other Lab books.

The projects shown do give an excellent idea of what can be done with the tools created using the book. The patterns can so easily be used to make customized fabric, paper, stationery and more arty stuff - just let your imagination run!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Print & Stamp Lab.