Ricki Lewis's Reviews > Blood Feud: The Man Who Blew the Whistle on One of the Deadliest Prescription Drugs Ever

Blood Feud by Kathleen Sharp

F_50x66
Nov 04, 11

Read in October, 2011

“Blood Feud” is the tragic and true story of two drug reps trying to expose the unethical and illegal practices of a pharmaceutical giant in marketing a dangerous biotech-based drug. I ordered it at the same time that I ordered Jeffrey Eugenides' new book, The Marriage Plot. Usually I race through fiction and leave nonfiction for weeks on end, reading a bit at a time. I started both books and quickly put the novel aside. That's never happened before.

At first I was a little disbelieving of the astonishing attention to detail, and the precisely remembered conversations. I'm a narrative nonfiction writer myself, and for my last book lawyers carefully removed any remnants of conversation I could not directly back up. But Blood Feud is different. The author did indeed have access to detailed, riveting information, thanks to the careful record keeping of the two protagonists. It all rings true in a way that other books in the genre do not (i.e. how, exactly, could a different present-day writer have known what an illiterate woman thought in a bathtub half a century ago at the moment she somehow discovered her cervical cancer???)

Blood Feud was one of the best reads I've had in years.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Feud.