Alyson's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Katherine Webb

Nov 04, 2011

bookshelves: literary-ish, mystery-contemporary, old-houses
Read from October 30 to November 03, 2011

Dual stories (one Victorian, one modern day) about the same family. The question of "What happened to Henry?" goes on for a bit too long--or, rather, the conversations consisting of "Tell me what happened!"/"No, it's better that you don't remember!" happened a bit too frequently and had me wishing they would just get to the point in the final conversation before the Big Reveal.

I wasn't actually too crazy about either Beth or Erica, and got progressively a bit more annoyed with them. However, the breaks into Caroline's story were enough that they didn't wear on me too badly. I thought the Victorian bits were very well done, as in a different book I would've been annoyed with Caroline's helplessness; here, I just felt sorry for her. Her panic and horror at what she'd done and the subsequent feeling of having no idea what to do about it was palpable. On the other hand, even as our narrator, I never felt that Erica was fully fleshed out. Also, her stated sense of not waiting for anything at the end of the novel feels most definitely like she's waiting.

Some lovely writing and decent plotting kept my attention throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.

Jelena Brozovic I agree about the question going on for a bit too long, it felt like a soap opera. But the story and writing are nice, good enough to keep you reading.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I agree. You nailed it on the "tell me"/No, leave it alone conversations. I liked the story itself, it was unique, could have been written to move faster.