John's Reviews > Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand

Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand by Samuel R. Delany

Jan 10, 12

Read from November 04, 2011 to January 09, 2012

WTH?! I spent two months of lunchtimes on this?!

I have not slogged through a more difficult read since Gene Wolfe's lictor/new sun saga, and I didn't get the payoff from this that I did from them.

If this is the "masterpiece" that the cover blurb claims, I'm afraid it is one that passed right over the top of my li'l pumpkin head. As a character novel, it failed me: I never connected with narrator Marq Dyeth and was never supposed to grasp he cipher Rat Korga. As a plot novel, it failed me: it took so many large leaps so often that it left me behind. As a language/conceptual novel, it failed me: the use of gender-term inversion for indeterminate and group personages forced me to stumble every page. (The deliberate language inversion stuff works for short works, but at novel length is felt pointlessly pedantic. I get it already, stop bludgeoning me with it!)

To me, this read like the execution of a challenge between writers (or from the author to himself). "Write something that illustrates the infinite possibilities of cultural diversity in a interstellar multi-species universe!" It felt like 60% of the words were spent with Industrial Diplomat Marg explaining to us that such-and-such had X meaning in Y cultural group but could be otherwise. That got tedious.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand.