Jackie's Reviews > Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman

Jun 23, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: educationallit

Honestly, watch Mean Girls! This book was the inspiration for the film and I think Tina Fey hit the nail on the head with the Queen Bee dynamic.
Unfortunately, this book fails to address other groups besides middle/upper class white straight girls. There is little to no mention of any other racial demographic. I was disheartened that the author chose to relegate the topic of sexual orientation to a mere small chapter, sandwiched between heterosexual dating and sex.
Overall, it's quite obvious (soccer moms in suburbia) who is viewed as the target audience.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Bees and Wannabes.

message 1: by Atlanta (new)

Atlanta Interesting take on it. Do you live in an urban area?

Sarah I fully agree with the critique of this book. As a teacher in an urban setting, I would like there to be more information about the experiences of non-white, non-heterosexual, non-middle class girls.

Ashlea Stark Maybe the author, as a white/straight woman herself, didn't feel qualified to talk more at length about those issues than she has already.