Tina's Reviews > Cockroach

Cockroach by Rawi Hage

Nov 07, 11

Read from November 04 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is a book about justice or perhaps revenge, though you wouldn't think so from the start. At first I wasn't sure what to think about the novel and I didn't like it at first. From the book jacket it sounded like a story about a weird loner, but that isn't what the narrator is at all, well, at least not in the way I was hoping for. The first third of the book was depressing, bleak, and seems to go nowhere, but the author has this way of drawing you into the narrator's life, making you want to see what he's going to do next. The narrator is interesting, because he's definitely mentally deranged, definitely a petty criminal, but he isn't dangerous and there is something compelling about his views, warped as they are. And then the book gets serious and political. And it starts addressing the concept of justice and revenge and justification for violence. The story is told in a great way, because the narrator doesn't explain a lot about his past and why he has mental issues, but he explains it to his therapist, so we get his experiences, but we don't know whether they are true or not, which coincides with the sociopolitical aspect of the story. The reader is left to make their own conclusions about the narrator and the concept of justice. Overall, a good book. I'd like to give it a 3.5/5.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cockroach.

11/04/2011 page 116
11/06/2011 page 200
64.0% "I must say, I'm intrigued"