Jennifer Bielman (Reading and Writing UF and PNR)'s Reviews > Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows

Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows by Stant Litore

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: self-published, reviewed, horror
Recommended to Jennifer by: Stant Litore
Recommended for: Dark Fantasy/Horror lovers.
Read from November 03 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy

The Good
The Zombie Bible? Yup, you heard right. I had the same reaction when I first heard about this series. I was a little reluctant at first because I had never read the bible, so I wasn't sure how much I was going to truly understand Death Has Come Up into Our Windows. Especially since the author notes: "Based Loosely on the Events of Jeremiah 38, 595 BC." But it's not religious fiction, it's a book about religious events. And the more I read, the more I got into the story and understood the biblical history and how it tied in with the fantasy of a land filled with zombies.

But first, let me tell you what greets you on page one: “By the time they lowered Yirmiyahu into the old well behind the king’s house, the city around them was already dying.” Yup, kick in the face, right? So, as you can assume I was intrigued from the get-go.

The book, in general, is about Yirmiyahu who says he is God's prophet. He can hear her cries and anguish over her People (yup, God is a female in Litore's tale, have to give him point's for that). Her People who worship other deities through the sacrifice of children. Yirmiyahu then finds out that his fellow priests encourage such death in the hopes of satisfying the undead and their hungers. But Yirmihau knows this is not the way. Unfortunately, no one will heed his warnings, and eventually the People take out their fear on the one prophet who is trying to save them.

This book has more of a literary quality to it. Every page had rhythmical, intelligent language that enriched the story. This is not just another zombie book. Litore takes us further into the darkness of the human condition. And the obvious amount of research Litore has done in preparation of writing this series only makes me respect him more as a writer.

Yirmiyahu is an emotional character that really makes the reader ache for his many trials he must face for being God's prophet. He cares for God's People, even though they may not care for him. I have to say my favorite parts are the times he spends with his wife. You can tell he truly loves his her, and reading about their moments together filled my heart with joy.

This book will disturb you, it will enthrall you. It's a new take on the zombie craze that has a deeper meaning. I was literally speechless for a couple minutes after I turned the last page.

The Bad
At times, I felt the book got a little repetitive. I would read a sentence and swear I just read the same sentence a couple pages back. Also, though I understood the biblical theme for the most part, I feel that a knowledge of the bible would have helped me understand and enjoy the references and story as a whole a little more.

The Snuggly
No actual sex, just little moments of intimacy.

Overall
This story was both original in it's premise and terrifying in its no-holds-barred type of truth. This book is not wrapped up with a pretty bow at the end. We get heartbreak and we are shocked and horrified by the conclusion. This is not a light read. It's a story with depth that is both satisfying and enjoyable. I would like to say that this sort of book may not be for everyone, but I for one thought the writing was beautiful and the story entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows.