Todd Huish's Reviews > Rock On: An Office Power Ballad

Rock On by Dan Kennedy

May 27, 2008

I heard Dan Kennedy talking about this book on NPR and it seemed like a good memoir so I picked it up. If I had written this review directly after finishing the book I'm pretty sure I would have given it a slightly lower rating but I find the book growing on me over time. I read the entire thing in a day and I think I rushed it just a little and that colored my original thinking about it. I find myself thinking about it more and more as time goes on though and that is always a sign of a good book. Kennedy really pulls you into his world with this book. He's a relatively uncool nerd thrown into the music business right at the time the entire business is changing. The book has a vaguely melancholy outlook as he compares what the job is like compared to what he thought it was going to be like to work in music. That feeling is enhanced by the real stories he hears from the old-timers that actually worked through decades of rock and roll only to have the entire industry shrink and collapse as the world moves on and is forcing them to move along with it. I think I identify with Kennedy even more than I might because he's only a little older than I am right now and the hopes and fears he has are the hopes and fears I have, or can see myself having in a couple years. I didn't get any answers from this book but I did enjoy reading about his journey enough to pick up his previous book and keep an eye out for what comes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock On.