Sorcha's Reviews > Charlotte Sometimes

Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer

F 50x66
Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: 1978, children

Charlotte starts at a boarding school for the first time and is allocated a bed in a small dorm room. [return][return]On her first night she sleeps fitfully, and then wakes to a different view outside the window - and everyone calling her a different name! She then swaps bodies and timeframes with a girl called Clare, and between them have to navigate a new school as well as two different timeframes. There is plenty to threaten them both, including the flu epidemic, and the fact that Charlotte could be evauacted to the countryside during the war whilst stuck in Clare's body. Everytime they switch, there's always a chance that they will become "stuck" as the other.[return][return]I have to re-read this as an adult, but remember enjoying it as a child - it was the first book I really remember having a sci-fi/fantasy aspect to it (time travel & switching bodies being such sci-fi staples).[return][return]I dont *think* I knew this was the third part of a series although reading the synopsis of book 1 makes me think i've read that one too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Sometimes.