David's Reviews > Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature

Swirl by Swirl by Joyce Sidman

M_50x66
Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: kids-nonfiction, picturebook

Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature by Joyce Sidman, illustrated by Beth Krommes reveals the many spirals in nature — from fiddleheads to elephant tusks, from crashing waves to spiraling galaxies — but also celebrates the beauty and usefulness of this fascinating shape.

Spirals are described as snuggling, growing, strong shapes that reach out, are clever, beautiful, and can move.

The spare text features a large font with the pertinent flora and fauna identified in a very small font. The poetry is clear, yet descriptive, and in the end comes full circle. The text on the cover is curved as it is on the title page. The copyright information is given in a spiral arrangement. The back matter gives a definition of a spiral, summarizes the types described and includes information on dna helixes and fibonacci number sequences.

The beautiful scratchboard illustrations include plenty of details while clearly portraying the varieties of spirals in nature. Among the flora, fauna and phenomena pictured that exhibit some spiral features are harvest mice, eastern chipmunks, woodchucks, bull snakes, the nautilus, lady ferns, European hedgehogs, millipedes, land snails, merino sheep, an octopus, spiny seahorses, spider monkeys, Asian elephants, giant swallowtail butterflies, garden orb spiders, breaking ocean waves, gardenias, chrysanthemums, daisies, angel's trumpets, roses, sweet peas, calla lilies, sunflowers, hibiscus, a tidal whirlpool, a funnel tornado, and a spiral galaxy.

Among my favorite images are the front and back covers, the endpapers, the expanding animals, the protective curve of the hedgehog, the octopus, clinging monkeys and spiders, breaking ocean waves, beautiful flowers, the tornado, and the spiral galaxy. I appreciate the curves of the text identifying flora, fauna and phenomena. Additional animals pictured will give young readers further things to identify.

The poetry and illustrations combine to give a unique look at spirals in all their natural wonder. This book should receive Best of 2011 list status and possibly receive other awards. I highly recommend it for school and public library collections.

For ages 5 to 8, teachers and librarians, nature, language, poetry, science, spirals, and fans of Joyce Sidman and Beth Krommes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swirl by Swirl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

april marie Pennington What was it ABOUT,if DON'T MIND me asking?

april marie Pennington Seems interesting David, oh by the way,My name is April Pennington

april marie Pennington I haven't read it yet ,but I will if I have time after school,ok?

april marie Pennington Did you know that I like reading books now and then?

april marie Pennington Maybe ,if I TIME I'll read it sometimes.

april marie Pennington I'm a l.a MISSION COLLEGE student? AND like reading once in awhile.

april marie Pennington After I study,and finish homework,I'll see WHAT this book is about o.k?

april marie Pennington Okay ,if I have a chance I will?

april marie Pennington Maybe this weekend?

april marie Pennington Can I read it now?

april marie Pennington Maybe,tomorrow night.