Mindy's Reviews > Brisingr

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Jan 11, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
Read in October, 2008

I'm sure I'll get hate comments for this rating. But I just was bogged down by Paolini's formal and dry descriptive text. Maybe I'm just too far removed from the other books these years later. I really liked the first two, I just couldn't get into this one. I feel like the story just sort of meanders around.

(SPOILER ALERT) The wedding scene was particularly terrible. It was so long and drawn out. I don't like to go to long drawn out weddings in real life. Reading one was that much worse. (END SPOILER)

There were a two things that propelled me through the book. 1. what happens with Murtagh. 2. Do Arya & Eragon get together. Yet again, I feel as if things just sort of meandered about, story lines just got smooshed and pushed together.

Also, Eragon was so whiny. It reminded me of one of the Harry Potter books (maybe OOTP) Where Harry's character just got on my nerves. Eragon was on my nerves throughout the book. I felt like he was sort of having himself a little pity party.

Perhaps if the book lost about a third of it's over descriptive text it would have been a much better, and tidier read. I rarely give up a series, but I think for the next one I'll just ask someone how it ends, instead of trying to force myself through what is likely to be another 500 pages at minimum.
28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brisingr.

Bonnie Here is your hate comment, this book was awesome and you are crazy. This book answered many questions that we have all been dying to know and he has set us up for the final resolution of the series.

Mindy Oh well. It was bound to happen, as I prefaced in my review. Though I'm not crazy, just someone unwilling to trudge through Paolini's stylistically boring descriptions to get to the tiny bit of meat in a story. But to each their own.

message 3: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Mindy, here is a supporter! Although I have not finished this book, as I'm struggling through every word right now, I agree with your review of it being dry and boring. I am hoping that I have the stick-to-itness to finish it at this point.

Mindy Good luck. :D

Trish I just want to comment on Eragon and HP being whiny... I agree with you on that, and it is excruciating to read sometimes (I wanted to shoot Harry), but for the ages of the characters, it is spot on. That's how teenage boys are before they mature. I believe both authors were keeping the voice true to character.

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth I had some trouble getting through Eldest. Is this worse?

message 7: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose Yes!! I could "get through" Eldest, but took a week to break 100 pages in Brisingr. Now that I have put it down for awhile and have read so many other books in between, I highly doubt I will be giving it another chance. Too many good books out there to be reading.

message 8: by Seth (new)

Seth Sorry to hear, Rose. I'll probably still give it a shot. But I don't have too many expectations at this point.

Mindy I'd wait for paperback, or borrow a copy. : )

arianna Bonnie wrote: "Here is your hate comment, this book was awesome and you are crazy. This book answered many questions that we have all been dying to know and he has set us up for the final resolution of the series..."

I'm on page 469 and i can't seem to find any new answers... what page do they start on so i can skip the boring parts and get to them?

arianna Seth wrote: "I had some trouble getting through Eldest. Is this worse?"

it's better than eldest, but it is over 700 pages...

Elizabeth yep those are the two questions that keep me reading them too and I didn't know it was going to be 4 until the last page!!

message 13: by Aaron (new) - rated it 1 star

Aaron Here's a supporter. Paolini is one of those people who links "longer" means "better".

Paolini, if you read this, you can't just throw in a few hundred pages and say that makes the book more mature and better. You're no Thomas Pynchon (who actually has enough characters [and not to mention character development:], plot and intrigue to live up to the several hundred-or-so pages).

Meredith I thought the EXACT same thing about Eragon being whiney in this book, just like Harry Potter OOTP! He was such a whiney snothead in that one, it was the only HP I had even a little difficulty reading, and actually the second time through I understood his whineyness a little more and came to see it as JKR's brilliant character development of Harry as a growing, moody adolescent. But not for Brisingr, I'd never make it through the book a second time! If he would have just written with fewer and more succinct adjectives, the book would have been 1/3 shorter and not lost any meaning!

Kayleigh McCartney I rather enjoyed the book, but I do have to say.. The first 50 or 60 pages were a bother to get through. Other than that, I do agree with Trish in that he was whiny, but that's an adolescent boy. There was a kind of 'trigger-happy' feeling involving the adjectives, but again, I did enjoy the book overall. It did answer MANY questions, and although I would also be happy with him keeping it a trilogy, the 4th book in the now 'cycle' is necessary, given the ending.

message 16: by MoonGarden (new) - added it

MoonGarden I agree, the wedding is killing me. I can't get past it. I have tried reading this book 3 times in the past year and I get to the wedding and hit a wall.

I have decided to wait for the fourth book then get them all on audio from the library and listen to them, start to finish while exercizing or working on projects. That way hopefully the momentum of Eregon and Eldest will cary me through to something more worth reading.

Lauren "Maybe this is all because Paolini is so young and started these books so young. The first book was sort of carefree for me. It was fun and exciting. The second began the bogged down descriptive nature of what has apparently become Paolini's adult style. It's very disappointing."

THANK YOU!!!! That's my thoughts on this series. I will read the 4th one, but ONLY because I like the dragons. They should just tell it through Saphira all the time. lol
Oh, and completely agree with the HP comparison; he WAS really whiny this book.

message 18: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra why is everyone saying they hate the books?

message 19: by Ramsay (new)

Ramsay Clarke Alexandra Marchon, read the reviews and maybe, just maybe, you'll see why.

Easton hate comment.

Caleb another hate comment

Kawaii Dont make spoilers for new readers, that is like your take away their newer experiences...

Lindsay Meeks The editor really should have stepped in and stripped this book down to maybe half of what was actually printed.

Mindy Nathan wrote: "Dont make spoilers for new readers, that is like your take away their newer experiences..."

Dude. I put a "spoiler alert" and "end spoiler" on the one paragraph that had a spoiler. If you read it and somehow you managed to devise there was a wedding scene (I didn't say who, BTW), then reading that paragraph despite the warning is all on you.

Kawaii I dont really mind that anymore, but hate comments basically ruin my entire fantasy....

Mindy You don't have to read the review. If reading a 2-star review ruins it for you, don't read them.

message 27: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy Hiscocks stupid. brisingr is awesome
this is your hate comment

message 28: by Julian (new)

Julian Whaley Mindy, I completely agree with you that the wedding scene wasn't up to par, and that Eragon seemed a little bit too whiny. I don't see any redemption for the former, but I believe that his whininess showed that he wasn't some god, and that he was more like a regular person who had regular problems. I believe that this built upon him as a character. Also, I believe that the way that Paolini goes into such detail is nice because it helps you get a better feel for what is going on. For me, at least, it had been a while since I read Eldest, so I didn't quite remember everything that had happened. The amount of detail helped me remember how good the previous books where, why I decided to read this book, and why I believe this is the best book so far.