Heather's Reviews > Unforeseen

Unforeseen by Nick Pirog

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: mystery-or-suspense, kindle
Read on October 31, 2011

Hard to say what to rate this. Plot's a good solid 3.5. But the writing? Even for a cheap/free Kindle download, this sucked.

Look, Nick. You have a foreword about how this book is your baby. Yeah? How in hell do you think a baby should be treated? Would you feed it, give it clothing?

Two suggestions:

1. BUY A FUCKING DICTIONARY. I have never seen so much unintentionally misused vocabulary in one volume. The one that really stuck with me was "...if either Caleb or I had been poignant enough to remove our cell phones before plunging into the Atlantic", but there was something similar every 10 pages or so.

2. Shell out a few hundred bucks, or even a coupla grand, for a goddam proofreader. The vocabulary errors really pissed me off, but the lack of understanding of basic principles of comma usage didn't help. Shit, I'll do it if you can't use a simple web search to locate copyediting services online. I could use the cash.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. NOTE TO E-BOOK AUTHORS: THE PRINT INDUSTRY HAS EDITORS FOR A REASON. IF YOU BYPASS THIS BY PUBLISHING AN E-BOOK, GET YOURSELF A FUCKING EDITOR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unforeseen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Deirdre Scherzer You are seriously full of crap... My best suggestion to you is to write a book and see if you can get it published.

Heather WTF??? I didn't say don't self-publish an e-book. I said if you do so, have enough respect for your own work and your potential readers to spend a relatively small amount of money on a freelance editor. Read for comprehension, please.

Mark I think you hit the nail on the head with this review, Heather.

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Mcclung-short Heather, I 100% agree with you. Get a proff reader. It is very distracting from the story.