Meghan Doidge's Reviews > Bad Luck Cadet

Bad Luck Cadet by Suzie Ivy

5202645
Nov 07, 11

Read on November 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Just finished. Adored this book as much as the blog. Will write a full review tomorrow...

I first stumbled across Suzie Ivy via her blog, Bad Luck Detective, and last week I was happy to see that she had released her first book, Bad Luck Cadet, which I believe is a collection of her early blog posts. I immediately bought and then, very soon after, read Suzie’s book.

I really liked it.

I knew I would, but still I am glad that that was the case, because -- if you hang out with me at all regularly or if you’ve read any of my writing -- you will already understand how unusual it is for me to like and follow a writer who is, in this particular incarnation, a memoirist.

Suzie Ivy is the Bad Luck Detective. She chose to become a police officer at the age 45 – it was a tough, male-dominated road (read her book). I don’t even know her and I think she is an amazing person. I really do love her stories. Actually, some times, I can’t believe they are “real life”.

So what exactly do I like about Suzie Ivy, and, in particular, the Bad Luck Cadet?

Beyond appreciating her as a person for the difficult lifestyle choice she made when becoming a police officer, I love how she has taken her police work and simply shared it with us all. She is insightful and humorous. I have actually laughed and then teared-up in the same chapter. Her writing is personal, but not overly dramatic. She details her real life in a completely accessible, and even charming, manner. She lets the poignant moments be, so you almost stumble upon them, rather than dressing everything up in flowery “look here” language.

The Bad Luck Cadet is a new, fresh character in the “cops & robbers” world, and I look forward to reading many more of her adventures.

Suzie's next book is due out January 13, 2012!

The Bad Luck Cadet is currently .99c on Amazon!

(review via my blog http://www.madebymeghan.ca)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Luck Cadet.