Josh's Reviews > Little Star

Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: horror, read_2012, given-away
Read from July 03 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

Lindqvist is a master at prolonging the horror in favour of subtle hints at whats to come and 'Little Star' is no different. For Theres, a baby girl found near death in the woods by a fallen pop star, life was always going to be out of the ordinary. It didn't help that her discovery and introduction to the world was at the hands of semi deluded couple who kept her hidden in their basement. Naturally Theres was going to develop some sort of complex, violent or reclusive. Unfortunately for her 'foster family' it was the former.

If 'Little Star' had been marketed as an adolescents journey to self discovery with supernatural undertones rather than a true-to-genre horror story, then my perception of the books intention would've been significantly altered and I would've enjoyed the story far more. I kept waiting for the gore, for the bump in the night, the 'boo' that never really happened (at least to the extend I had hoped). As a story centered around Theres and fellow teen Teresa (who makes an appearance later in the book), Lindqvist captured the awkward age and clumsy emotional roller coaster of the female teen (as far as I could judge) perfectly. As characters, both were exceptionally deep and well rounded. One couldn't help but share in their happiness and humiliation. The binding dynamic and pop idol common ground helped strengthen the bond while the influence on social media helped build the story - this is a modern look at teenage life.

Upon finishing the book I couldn't help but feel as though Theres' origins weren't completely defined, with a significant backstory noticeably lacking - perhaps this was intended to add mystery to the child, however I wanted to more. The same can be said for the ending. This didn't feel like a complete book. Certain events captured the essence of horror (the last 100 or so pages were exactly what I wanted the entire book to be) without providing closure.

Despite my complaints, 'Little Star' is a serviceable read, and one without the preconceptions will satisfy more people than not. There is horror, there just isn't enough of it. Perhaps the lean on the reality talent shows put me off, yet it does bode well for the flow and character profiles of the story. 'Little Star' is not the best book by Lindqvist nor is it the worst horror I've read - more middle ground. I recommend reading, if only for the final 100 or so pages when the pack of characters really intensifies the plot. 2.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Star.

07/03/2012 page 102
07/05/2012 page 533
100.0% "2.5 Stars - review to come soon. Wasnt what I expected...in a not so good way. Later stages were decent though."
show 2 hidden updates…