Richard's Reviews > Dream Country

M 50x66
Nov 03, 2011

Read on January 23, 2014 , read count: 2

Calliope
Not much of a story, but we get info about Dream's son and it's an interesting account of an author's fears. Gaiman has said he wouldn't waste so many ideas on one story now.

A Dream of a Thousand Cats
Silly, slightly unsettling but fun. Gaiman infuses a sense of wonder into his world. Easy to forget how he was once a master of comic writing. Also how much you could fit into a comic before decompressed storytelling became the norm.

A Midsummer Night's Dream
I don't share Gaiman's love of Shakespear but we do learn more about what Dream cares about.

Facade
Rather disturbing. Woman has superpowers which would make her a freak in our world but this is clearly the D.C. universe where such things are common. So we don't really understand why she is unhappy: she seems to have depression or PTSD. Death initially seems to defy the morbid stereotype and help the woman, but then ends up advising her how to commit suicide! I don't think suicide is always a bad choice but l do think many more people would choose it is someone came along and offered them an easy painless way to do it as Death does here. I fear this treatment of mental illness was influenced by Gaiman's Scientology. (Or perhaps Gaiman was actually depressed and so supported right-to-die for the depressed.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Country.