Susan's Reviews > A Girl Named Zippy

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

Nov 03, 11

Read in October, 2011

I did not like it at first because I thought the language was a little crude. I wasn't going to finish it, but it was a RS Book Club selection. However, I did like some of the later chapters. The writing seemed a little disjointed. Again, I thought some of the later chapters had more continuity and were better written. I so enjoyed "The Glass Castle" that it is hard to read a memoir which is written through the eyes of a child without comparing. There didn't seem to be a point to many of the reflections. There was a big focus on the killing of rabbits and chickens, which I'm sure would have made an impression on a child, but I didn't much care for it. I am uncomfortable with writings about family members which paint them in a poor light, even if it is true. If there is a strong point or direction to the writing, then I would understand. But it seemed pretty much like random memories. I hope I would never hold up the shortcomings of my family members in such a public manner. I like to think that they have forgiven me my own shortcomings.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Zippy.