Lisa's Reviews > Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: fiction-historical, fiction-young-adult, 4-star
Recommended to Lisa by: book club
Read in October, 2011

Turner Buckminster moves to Maine when his father takes a position as a minister in Phippsburg in the early 1900's. Turner becomes friends with Lizzie Bright who is from a poor island community founded by former slaves. As he develops relationships with Lizzie and others from the town, he faces prejudice and other social difficulties. It is interesting to watch the growth of the characters as they face adversity. While the book addresses some tough topics, it also has its lighter moments as well. I found myself laughing over the funny situations and things the characters do.

The author's note at the end gives the historical background of the actual poor island community that is destroyed in the hopes of making the town in Maine more attractive to tourists and enriching the business owners.

If you have a 9-13 year old, get the audiobook and listen to it on a trip. Discuss race, the treatment of others, friendship, religion, following the crowd, and the way things were different in the early 1900's. Talk to your children, and listen too...you might learn something!

Modern day Phippsburg does look like a nice place to visit in the summer:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric McLean Mr. Schmidt just recently came here to BYU-Idaho for one of our pre-professional conferences. He is fantastic. I think he mentioned that he wrote this book and realized that it was all from the wrong characters' perspective, so he started over (after some 2 years of writing). He seems like a very nice man.

Lisa I bet it was interesting to get a writer's perspective on his writing. Are you planning to be a writer? Is he LDS?

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric McLean I don't think he is LDS, but I could be mistaken. I don't plan on it being my sole career, but I would like to write. I'm an English major and I plan on getting a Masters of Teaching to teach high school. So, we'll see where writing ends up in the grand scheme of things!

Lisa Good luck Eric, maybe one day I will be reviewing your books!