Mimi's Reviews > Mandy

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: childrens-chapter
Recommended to Mimi by: Dipika
Read in May, 2008

As of ten minutes ago I finished this book by Julie Andrews. Even though I work in a book store I came across this title in a back door sort of way. A couple of months ago I was boasting to my friend that I have a really good success rate with finding books for customers when there is almost nothing to go on. Taking me up on the challenge she asked if I knew about this children's book...details: main character is Mandy and she has her own world beyond a big wall. It was fairly easy to find - the title was a big help - and I ordered her a copy saying that I would read it myself before delivering it to her at our next meeting.

So, I just finished it after reading the bulk of it today (pgs 82-304).

Now, as a disclaimer, I'm a bit of a weeper. Movies, TV shows, commercials (God help me) all have the potential to make my eyes water a bit... or... a lot. I try to keep it to myself mostly because my boyfriend thinks that it's terribly adorable and will sit with an 'aren't-you-sweet' pout on his face while laughing at me. Sometimes there are exceptions where I will sit and openly sob with a messy tissue or two at my side. This book was one of those absolute tear-jerkers for me. When my boyfriend found me he implored our cat to "stay away from that book because it will make you sad." Not sad, really, just a feeling of kinship.

Mandy is a little, 10-year-old girl living her days in an orphanage. Although she is very well cared for she has an adventurous streak that has the promise of getting her into a fix. After climbing a wall behind the orphanage's back orchard she discovers a charming little cottage which she is determined to make her own. Trouble ensues, of course.

The deal here is that she is sent on a roller coaster of emotions that, while they're written about in the simplest of ways, are quite profound and deep. And isn't that how children feel? A problem at the age of 10 may seem easy for someone the age of 30 but the emotions are all relative. I found that what she was dealing with at 10 were some of the same frightening hurtles that I dealt with as well since coming from a troubled childhood.

You may not feel the same about your life as you read through her experience (I kind of hope that you don't) but you will certainly feel sympathetic about her situation as you read. This would make an excellent book for a child that is reading chapter books because it teaches many lessons so subtlely and with such compassion that a child could easily absorb the message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mandy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nonhle (new) - added it

Nonhle I luv de book an m gona get it jas after work