Colleenish's Reviews > Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith from Politics

Raised Right by Alisa Harris

Nov 03, 11

Read in November, 2011

I liked this book. The author's experiences growing up in an ultra-Conservative home were a little more extreme than my own, but I still know exactly what she's talking about. Her stories of being trained to argue, playing with plastic fetuses, and not fitting in ring true. I laughed when she talked about knowing that she could never date a Democrat. And my heart cheered when that turned out not to be true.

Separating your beliefs from what you've always know is hard, and it's even harder when your parents have taken stands for what they believe. It's hard to do gracefully. It's almost impossible to do without hurt. One natural reaction is anger, but the author was careful to not let anger define her story. I appreciated that a lot.

I also thought that she had some compelling insights into my generation, about the issues we care about, and about the things we are putting aside.

The book ends with her acknowledging her parents. After all, she says, I don't love and care for my country like they do, but I love and care because they did. Right on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised Right.