Tough Critic Book Reviews's Reviews > On the Fringe

On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker

Nov 06, 11

Read from November 03 to 05, 2011

I kept that fourth star in my back pocket, reaching for it several times throughout the book. I really wanted to whip it out (I really did), but I had to hold it back. Three stars aren't bad, in fact they say "Hey, I'm a good book." And this was a good book.

The storyline was wonderfully unique. I admire the author's ability to switch POV's and incorporate several flashbacks while still maintaining the flow of the story. Claire and Daniel's relationship was heart-wrenching AND heart-breaking (tissues will be a must). It was a fast pace emotional rollercoaster that combined romance, mystery, paranormal topped with chills and thrills.

I guess the reason I couldn't rate it higher was because it was missing the that. The that that keeps you thinking about the book for several days after you read it. The that that keeps you from ever wanting the story to end.

For a debut novel, it rocked. If I was rating it against debut novels only, 4/5 stars easy, but unfortunately it was up to bat against all the books in my library. Courtney King Walker showed alot of promise with this book and I'm looking forward to see what she brings to the table in the future. Write on!!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Fringe.

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Thank you Mollie! I appreciate your review and your encouragement!

Tough Critic Book Reviews Courtney wrote: "Thank you Mollie! I appreciate your review and your encouragement!"

You are most welcome :-) Thanks for taking the time to comment! Like I said, I'm VERY impressed with the incorporation of the flashbacks and the changing POV. Not very many authors can pull that off. I'll be keeping my eye out for more in the future!

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Of course all authors want are 4 and 5 stars, yet 3 stars still means you liked it! Mostly I loved how you were honest but still kind and encouraging...it makes us authors want to rock it even more the next time, and grateful you still enjoyed it and recognized some of the positive things in it this time.