Jessica's Reviews > Carry the One

3019127
Sep 23, 14

bookshelves: fiction, read-2012, literary-fiction, contemporary, used-to-own
Read from February 10 to 11, 2012

Carry the One was really good. The story starts with Carmen's wedding reception, and a tragic accident involving a car full of her drunk and stoned friends and siblings and a young girl running across the road. I'm sure you can guess what happened. The bulk of the story, however, is a view through the years of the various players, particularly Carmen, her brother Nick, and her sister Alice. We follow them through the years of their lives, through marriages and affairs, parenthood and drug-induced downward spirals. Each chapter picks up with one of the siblings, a little later in their lives than the last chapter.

I was a little unsure the whole time I was reading Carry the One. It's a slow, meandering story but I found myself unable to put it down. There weren't a lot of the things that normally keep me enthralled while reading, and yet I still found myself enthralled -- I just wanted to know what happened to Carmen, Nick, and Alice. The writing is beautiful, with a sort of melancholy hanging over it. Carol Anshaw does a stunning job of dropping the reader in and out of the siblings' lives, but always at the perfect moment that gives their character another layer of meaning and personality.

Stunningly well written, and a fantastic story.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry the One.

02/10/2012 page 211