Charlene's Reviews > Multiples of Six

Multiples of Six by Andy Rane

Dec 08, 2011

it was ok
Read from December 02 to 08, 2011

I purchased this book for three reasons. First, it was a good value. Second, the book description piqued my interest. Third, the reviews posted on Amazon were good. What I didn't notice initially, although I should have because it was clearly stated in the title, is that this book is the first book in a trilogy. Here lies my biggest rub with this book. It does not stand alone.

Should all books in a series stand alone? In my opinion they should. While some elements of the story and characters can carry over to subsequent books in a series there should be some element of the plot or characters resolved in each book. For example, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was a good read and while I was anxious to read the next book because I liked the characters so much there was a complete novel in the first book. The Hunger Games books are another example of a series where there was a plot resolution in each book of the series. One of my favorite author's, Greg Iles, has several books linked by common characters or themes that are good reads even without reading them in sequence. In my opinion Multiples Of Six is not really a series but a single work that it is being published in three books. From all the glowing reviews I have seen for Multiples Of Six I must be alone in my need for some conflict resolution in a book.

I do have praise for the book. The action is fast paced and engaging. I liked the character development of the pursued multiples and their interaction was believable and engaging. I did not lose interest and felt drawn into the story. It was somewhat frustrating that the story took so long to develop and as soon as some important information was revealed the book ended. And I do mean ended....with a surprise.

I can't say definitively that I will purchase the next book in the series. While I am interested in learning the fate of some of the characters, I feel more coerced into following the characters than invited.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Multiples of Six.