Lauren Hidden's Reviews > You Know Your Way Home

You Know Your Way Home by Suzanne Jauchius

Nov 17, 11

Read from November 03 to 10, 2011

Some parts of this book were very gripping and extremely well-written. Others, unfortunately were so “woe is me” that I couldn’t identify with the “character” (Suzanne) and I felt like important information was being shielded from the reader. I had a lot of unanswered questions, which I will spare you from here due to the spoiler aspect. When writing a memoir, I think transparency (or lack thereof) is very apparent and important.

There’s no question that Suzanne had a difficult upbringing and a crazy mother who affected her ability to form healthy relationships with people. And though I’m not a huge believer in psychics, Suzanne’s stories had me convinced.

I was spellbound almost to the halfway mark of the book, where Suzanne fell into the traditional memoir formula of starting therapy and reaching a deeper understanding of herself. Unfortunately, Suzanne comes across as completely self absorbed--caught up in her own healing to the exclusion of everything else. She spends years in therapy and groups, spends time at an Indian sweat lodge, and focuses almost exclusively on her own recovery. By the end of the book, the thing I cheered for most was that Suzanne that she finally found some peace in her occupation.

3 stars. More stories about her psychic experiences and the lives of the people she touched, disclosure about how her children were affected by her choices Suzanne made, and admission of her own role in the problems she experienced would have gained more stars for this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Know Your Way Home.